Frequently Asked Questions

Which students can use DegreeWorks?

Currently, DegreeWorks is available to all degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students who have catalog years (Programs of Study) from 2009-2010 to the present.  Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

How current will my information be in DegreeWorks?

The information in DegreeWorks is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in DegreeWorks tomorrow.

Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?

No. DegreeWorks is a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned, and in academic history. Registration will continue to be handled through the Student Services tab of AppalNet.

Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?

Yes, once grades have been processed at the end of the semester. They are viewable in DegreeWorks following the nightly refresh; however, though grades are viewable in myASU once posted by an instructor, final grades are not available in DegreeWorks until after the final grading period for the University has ended. Courses in-progress are listed with an "IP" grade.

Can I see a list of all of the classes that I’ve taken and how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

Yes, to see a printable list of courses taken at Appalachian as well as transfer courses, go to the Audit tab and click on the Class History link at the top.  To identify requirements that you still need to complete, look for unchecked boxes.  DegreeWorks is laid out in block format displaying degree, major, minor, and concentration requirements information.

What do I do if I believe my academic information is incorrect?

You should consult your academic advisor for a review of your audit.

Why isn’t my information up-to-date?

There could be several reasons.

  • DegreeWorks may not have refreshed since a change was made (the information is refreshed nightly). 
  • There could be some paperwork that needs to be completed. For example, if you have completed transfer courses, it is possible that the university has not received an official transcript or the coursework is pending departmental review. Check with the Office of Transfer Services if your transcript or audit does not reflect transfer work you have completed.  
  • A substitution or waiver for a course requirement may not have been processed yet.  Check with your advisor to ensure the dean's office has been informed of the substitution or waiver.
How can I update information?

You cannot update course information in DegreeWorks. To change your major/minor/concentration, you submit a form in your dean's office. To initiate changes to your academic program contact the dean's office offering the major/minor/concentration.

If I have additional questions about DegreeWorks, whom do I contact?

Complete the contact form.

What if I have issues accessing DegreeWorks on my computer?

Currently, DegreeWorks is available to all degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students students who have catalog years (Programs of Study) from 2009-2010 to the present.  If you still have issues try to switch to another browser. Then try to clear cache and cookies. If you are unsure how to do this click on the Help menu on your browser.  If you are still having trouble contact the Help Desk at 828-262-6266. 

What if the major or minor is listed incorrectly or if the minor is not listed?

DegreeWorks displays the major/minor on record for the student. To make changes, students who have not declared a major should contact University College Advising.  Those who have officially declared a major should contact the dean's office that oversees major department.

What if a student has a double major/degree/concentration, but only one is listed?

First, scroll all the way down reading the black bars very carefully to make sure you really aren’t seeing it. Next try the down arrow in the very top “Degree” block menu drop down box. The other major may be on a second page. IF the second major is not there, the student may not have officially added the major. The student should contact their dean's office.

The major requirements don’t look quite right. What could be wrong?

Double check the catalog year listed on the black bar to make sure it matches what requirements the student is following. If the student wishes to change a catalog year, he/she should complete the Change of Major form.

The major requires a concentration/contract/program of study but there are not courses listed in DegreeWorks for this requirement.

The advisor and the student need to draw up the contract and have it sent to the dean’s office to be processed.

How do we make a substitution for a course requirement?

If you and the student wish to substitute a course within the major, you must send a request through your department chair (or designee). The chair will forward this request (if approved) to the dean’s office, and it will be loaded as an exception into DegreeWorks. If the substitution is in CORE or GENED, those offices must approve the substitution and load it into DegreeWorks. 

How do I contact my dean's office?

Refer to this link.  If you are unsure of which college your major is in click here.


Some audits don’t have the General Education block. Why not?

Some students have met this requirement in a different way.  Second degree seeking students, students with their AA or AS degree from a NC Community College, students who have met the 44 hour core, etc., will be excluded from this requirement.

What does the notation “Split Catalog” mean?

This means the dean's office has determined that it is in the best interest of this student to remain on Core Curriculum rather than General Education.  If you have questions regarding the requirements of Core Curriculum or the Split Catalog Policy, the dean's office can assist you.

There are a lot of courses in the Fallthrough section. Why?

This can be for a number of reasons.  If a student has changed majors courses that once counted may no longer be required by the new major.  Students may have taken more elective courses than required by the major.  Students may be pursuing a minor they need to officially declare.  Additionally, transfer students and students who have fulfilled General Education in some way will typically have courses in this section, as they may not apply directly to specific degree requirements.

What do I do with courses in the Fallthrough section?

It is important to review courses in this section as well for potential substitutions and to ensure the audit is functioning properly.  If you find a  course in the Fallthrough section that may satisfy a General Education or major requirement, please contact your advisor. 

Is DegreeWorks my official degree audit?

This degree audit report is a tool or guide that you may use for assessing your progress toward your degree and for planning your future course work. Although we endeavor to assure that the information in the degree audit report is accurate, it is not an official transcript of your academic record and it is not an official notification of completion of degree or certificate requirements. You should contact the Registrar's Office for your official degree/certificate conferral status or to obtain a copy of your academic transcript. If you need assistance in interpreting this report, please contact your academic advisor or your dean's office. Meeting graduation requirements is the student's responsibility.

What is the ”What If”?

The What If is a DegreeWorks feature that allows a student to select a program that they might be interested in pursuing to see how their completed and registered coursework would fulfill the requirements for that possible program.

What is the GPA Calculator?

There are three different GPA calculators in DegreeWorks. The Graduation Calculator and Advice Calculator help you to determine how to reach a desired GPA.  The Term Calculator helps you to predict what your GPA will be for the current semester based on the grades you think you will earn in each class.  You can find tutorials for how to use these calculators on the Tutorials page.

Please note that the GPA is computed only on the basis of coursework taken at Appalachian.  Also, some grades, such as “S” (Satisfactory), “U” (Unsatisfactory) and “P” (Pass), are not counted in the GPA.  In addition, courses for which a grade replacement has been or will be allowed when a repeat form is filed will also not count in the cumulative GPA.  It is important that you read the instructions on each GPA calculator carefully to be sure you are entering the credits that will actually count in your GPA; if repeats for a grade replacement are involved, we recommend that you check your results with an advisor.

What are Residency Requirements?

With some exceptions, coursework is defined as “in residence” when registration is through the University. The physical location at which the course is delivered, whether in Boone or through a field-based program, does not affect this definition. The following types of courses, however, are not considered “in residence”: transfer credit, credit by examination, credit for life experience, credit for military experience, credit while enrolled in a non-degree status, and “institutional” credit.

To graduate from Appalachian, an undergraduate student must complete the following in residence:

1. as a minimum, the final thirty (30) semester hours (Students who study abroad on an Appalachian-approved exchange or study abroad program are excluded from this provision.); and

2. a minimum of eighteen (18) semester hours in the major and (if applicable) nine (9) semester hours in the minor; and,

3. at least 25% of the credit hours required for the degree.

Individual academic programs may specify particular courses that must be taken in residence. A student who intends to transfer coursework from other collegiate institutions should consult the program of study for her or his intended degree program.

Walker College of Business majors must complete in residence at least fifty percent of the business coursework required for the BSBA degree.

All baccalaureate degrees granted by Appalachian require the completion of a minimum of 50 semester hours at a senior college or university. (Note that credit awarded for credit by exam, military service, or “Life Experience” does not count as part of the required 50 hours.)

Questions about residence requirements should be directed to the dean of the college/school under which the degree program is offered.